Gold Bars vs. Coins: Which Is the Best Investment?
Buying gold for investment purposes isn’t as simple as it sounds. If you’re a new investor, you’d probably be confused between purchasing gold bars or gold coins. Before you make a decision, we’ve spilled some beans to let you know which bullion would be best for your investment.
Why Buy Gold Bars?
Gold bars contain 999.9 pure gold and come with a certificate that guarantees their purity and weight. Their low premium allows investors with large budgets to buy gold bars at the lowest price per gram. Therefore, investing in gold bars is cost-effective.
Advantages of Gold Bars
- Multiple sizes available, i.e., from 1 kg to 1 gram.
- The standard for gold investment
- Ideal for long-term investments
- Cheaper premium over spot
Disadvantages of Gold Bars
- Higher exposure to market risks
- Trading on a single gold price (the price at the time of purchase)
- Lack of flexibility compared to gold bullion coins.
Why Buy Gold Coins?
Gold coins are another great way to invest in gold. These days, most gold mints develop coins for investment purposes. The famous coin series include the American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, British Britannica, and the South African Krugerrand.
Gold coins contain 999.9 pure gold or 916.7 (22 carats gold). The standard weight of a gold coin is 1 Troy ounce. All coins have unique designs, with the manufacturing year stamped on one side. They don’t come with a certificate, but their weight and purity details are embossed on their backside.
Advantages of Investing in Gold Coins
- Available in various sizes- For example, 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, and 1/10oz.
- Offers flexibility, i.e., allows you to split your investment into several parts.
- High liquidity, i.e., easy to resell.
- Collectible items- you can collect gold coins until you get a potentially higher price to resell them.
Disadvantages of Gold Coins
- Gold coins carry a higher premium when compared with the same unit size of a gold bar because of their manufacturing cost and design.
- For investment purposes, buying gold coins means getting less gold for the amount you pay.
For most investors, coins like American Eagles are the best type of investment. They are easy to trade, widely recognized, and sell at a higher premium. If you buy 1 oz. bars, their price would be higher, and they’d be difficult to resell.
For investors who wish to buy precious metals in bulk, bullion bars would be a better option because of their low premiums.
If you wish to buy American Eagle gold coins, reach out to Orion Metals Exchange. Our team will walk you through buying the best gold coins for your precious metals IRA account. For more details, call us today!